Street Information

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:06 PM

The information published so far includes street information?

If not, I need to import street shapes into SQL 2008 for the entire US. Any help on this? Maybe an automated downloader for all County shape data?

Thanks in advance,

Andres.

Coordinator
Dec 13, 2009 at 1:57 PM

No, no street information. Since most of the people that would download this data would use it for different purposes, i decided to include the bare minimums, which is the grometry object. You can append whatever information you want to the data from whatever source you want: being your own data, more census data, or anywhere else.

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Andresv, it took me about a month or so to import all the streets into our sql db because i had to first transform them to .. wsg84? (i can't remember now, i did it nearly a year ago) and also union all the street segemtns into their unique street. So yeah, it takes a bit of time to do that for streets, if u want to have a proper single shapre representing a single street.

good luck :P

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:33 AM
Edited Feb 15, 2010 at 1:33 AM

Well, I finally did it a couple weeks ago.

Downloaded the entire US Census Bureau data (about 4 days) and then wrote a little program to import the whole US street shapes (and that took about a couple days).

The shapes were imported into SQL 2008 using the fine Shape2SQL (http://www.sharpgis.net/page/Shape2SQL.aspx) tool.

After that, I had to extract unique street names and numbers for each zipcode, so I had to get creative with some data analysis and queries (US street names and numbers are not really THAT normalized and standard). I found A LOT of special cases and WEIRD data in names, prefixes, sufixes, and numbers (like numbers with letters, for example).

It was fun, although.

Andrés.