Demographic Data?

Aug 5, 2009 at 9:21 PM

This is great that you've done this. Do your tables also contain the U.S. Census demographic data, e.g. "Summary File 1"? This would give things like age, gender, etc. for the different geographic regions.

John Krumm
Microsoft Research

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:06 PM

You would have to add that data into your database, link to it yourself using the geographic entity codes.

From the US Census site:

The TIGER/Line Shapefiles do not contain demographic data from any census or survey, but do include the geographic entity codes, which provide a link between the Census Bureau’s demographic data and the TIGER/Line Shapefiles.

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Thank you. I think I have successfully imported the Census data myself. If I find a problem with it, I may contact you about buying your data.

John

Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:07 PM
To: John Krumm
Subject: Re: Demographic Data? [uscdsql:64623]

You would have to add that data into your database, link to it yourself using the geographic entity codes.

From the US Census site:

The TIGER/Line Shapefiles do not contain demographic data from any census or survey, but do include the geographic entity codes, which provide a link between the Census Bureau’s demographic data and the TIGER/Line Shapefiles.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (uscdsql@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email uscdsql@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:02 AM

This is not my project, I'm just following Jonas Stawski and find the Spatial Data capabilities of SQL Server 2008 interesting.  I have done a bit more research on the US Census Data since I plan to use it along with the tools Jonas pointed out to learn how to create these types of databases.

Coordinator
Aug 18, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Hi guys. The idea of the project is to give you the geospatial data only so anyone can use it for their own data. That is why I left out all the demographic data. Hope this helps...